Deadline: March 31, 2023.
For more information: https://www.uni-frankfurt.de/48794816/FB06___Evangelische_Theologie
The Professorship of Religious Studies (Jewish-Islamic Relations) in the Faculty of Protestant Theology of Goethe University Frankfurt am Main offers the position of a
Postdoc (100%) or Academic Associate (65% part-time) (m/f/d)
(E 13 TV-G-U)
starting at the next possible date for a duration of three years. The salary grade is based on the job characteristics of the collective agreement applicable to Goethe University (TV-G-U).
- conducting your own research (writing a dissertation or postdoctoral thesis, i.e., habilitation) on Jewish-Islamic or Jewish-Christian-Islamic relations in the Near East
- working on research projects of the professorship using innovative digital tools
- limited teaching activities in the framework of the professorship’s course offerings
- administrative and organizational activities, in particular public outreach (e.g., assisting in organizing conferences and events), coordinating the collaboration of the professorship with other faculties, and participating in academic self-government
- a completed university degree in religious studies or theology or, alternatively, in an area of cultural studies, history, or philology that is especially relevant for researching religious communities in the Near East (e.g., Near/Middle Eastern studies, Islamic studies, Judaic studies, Near Eastern Christianity)
- proficiency in one or more Near Eastern languages (Arabic, Hebrew, or Syriac-Aramaic), very good English proficiency (C1), and the willingness to acquire German proficiency to a C1 level (if you have not yet done so)
- a passion to apply highly innovative digital approaches to your research and, preferably, experience in digital projects
- employment at a new professorship for Jewish-Islamic relations in the framework of the large humanities research alliance “Dynamics of the Religious” (https://dynamiken-des-religioesen.uni-frankfurt.de/)
- interdisciplinary networking and infrastructural support for doctoral students and postdocs through the GRADE Center for Religious Studies and Theology (https://www.goethe-university-frankfurt.de/70385495/RuTh_Overview)
- training in advanced digital humanities methods
- a family-friendly work atmosphere including access to the Goethe University Family Service (https://www.goethe-university-frankfurt.de/50614395/Family_Service) as well as the Goethe Welcome Centre for international researchers (https://www.goethe-university-frankfurt.de/45729918/Welcome_at_Goethe_Welcome_Centre)
- a LandesTicket Hessen, which currently allows free usage of public transportation in the state of Hesse
The Goethe University is committed to a policy of providing equal employment opportunities for both men and women alike, and therefore encourages particularly women to apply for the position/s offered. Individuals with severe disability will be prioritized in case of equal aptitiude and ability.
Applications in English or German with supporting documents (cover letter with a description of the dissertation or habilitation project; CV including language competency and publication list; a short publication or seminar paper; contact information for two academic or work-related references; certificates) should be submitted in electronic form until 31.03.2023 to the Dean of the Faculty of Protestant Theology, Prof. Dr. David Käbisch, Norbert-Wollheim-Platz 1, 60323 Frankfurt am Main (by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Submitted documents cannot be returned; therefore, please send only duplicates of certificates, diplomas, etc. Further information on the position can be obtained from Dr. Nathan Gibson via the Dean’s office. The documents of unsuccessful applicants will be destroyed after the selection process is concluded.